5 Reasons to Invest in the Art of Helmut Newton
Helmut Newton (1920-2004) was a German photographer known for his innovative fashion photography. During his long career, Newton’s work was highly respected as well as controversial. His work is a good investment for anyone who wants to start or build on a fine art photography collection.
Are you thinking of investing in Helmut Newton? Here are some of the best reasons to consider it.
1. Interest in Newton’s work has been steadily increasing over the years. So have the prices his work is fetching. While it’s common for artists’ work to rise posthumously, in the case of Newton this has been particularly dramatic. The best way to track artists’ value and popularity is through auction sales. 8 of the 10 highest prices for Newton sales have occurred in the last 5 years. Buying an artist with enduring popularity is a good long-term investment and also worth considering if you want to sell the work in the near future.
2. Newton’s career may have peaked at the end of the 20th century, but he was an avant-garde photographer, always ahead of his time. Fashion photography, his speciality, is more popular than ever. You can find evidence of this by looking at websites, magazines, degree programs, and even Pinterest boards. While fashion itself is always evolving, there’s an abiding interest in the kind of retro/noir style that Newton captured. No matter when you buy a Newton photograph, it’s unlikely to ever seem outdated.
3. Newton’s photographs go well with many architectural and decoration styles. People invest in art for a variety of reasons. In addition to financial considerations, you should also consider the aesthetic value that a piece will bring to your home (or wherever you choose to display it). Newton’s work has a unique and stylish quality that goes well with any style of architecture and decor. Even his earliest photos have a modern sensibility. At the same time, his minimalist black and white style goes well with antique and traditional settings as well.
4. His work evokes strong reactions. He has always had his detractors as well as fans. While some photographs and pictures blend almost unnoticed with the background, Newton’s work always makes a strong statement. If you’re looking for innocuous and low-key art with which to decorate your home or office, Newton may not be the ideal choice. His photographs are perfect, however, if you want art that sparks conversations and has an undeniable effect on everyone who sees it.
5. It’s suitable for modest budgets. While Newton’s work is popular and trending up in value, you can still find works that fit a variety of budgets. While some of his photos sell for upwards of £100,000, you can find prints for under £500. If you want to begin or build an art collection with a modest budget while still acquiring high-quality works likely to increase in value over the years, Newton is a solid choice.
The market for Helmut Newton's work has strengthened in recent years. Eight of his Top 10 sales at auction have been made in the past five years.
This graph shows the steady increase of Newton's average price per lot throughout the years. The price distribution shows that most of the artworks are sold between US$ 10,000 and US$ 25,000.
The most expensive piece of art by Helmut Newton was sold at 4 April 2019 by the auction house Phillips for US$1,820,000